Photo credit: Prenda Schools
COVID-19 disrupted the education of more than 56.6 million K-12 students across the United States. With school buildings shuttered, instruction shifted online, and, despite the best efforts of teachers and caregivers, the experience left a lot to be desired.
But, this alternative learning arrangement has inspired many parents, educators, and education-innovators to rethink how, when, and where learning takes place.
And that’s why the VELA Education Fund is launching the Meet the Moment grant program to help power six organizations dedicated to supporting parents, educators, and innovators who are working tirelessly to ensure student learning continues this fall. Meet the Moment grant recipients are 4.0 Schools, Camelback Ventures, The Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA), the National Parents Union, Nevada Action for School Options, and Youth Entrepreneurs.
VELA Education Fund is providing more than $1 million to these six organizations that will award fast grants to parents, educators, innovators, and entrepreneurs who are working hard and creatively to Meet the Moment.
VELA is also partnering with Transcend to create a community of interaction, learning, and growth to support the Meet the Moment grant program partners and families, as well as, gather and summarize learnings, insights, and findings from the overall Meet the Moment grant program.
Together, we aim to help meet the moment for students across the country.
Our Meet the Moment grant partners are excited to accept applications from diverse individuals and organizations that are:
- Creating something new or transforming existing educational models
- Directly serving students & families in need, and the educators that support them
- Showing how learning from this approach can inform the work of others
- Addressing a clear charitable need
- Supporting students beginning in the Fall 2020
- Not reliant on existing systems for approval
- Reaching and supporting at least multiple students in need
- In need of additional financial support to get started
August 3 – August 31 (or until all funds are spent)
How decisions will be made:
- Grant requests are only accepted through one of the four partnering organizations.
- Each partnering organization is empowered to provide an open or closed granting process.